- RSS Channel Showcase 3360918
- RSS Channel Showcase 1977144
- RSS Channel Showcase 9676939
- RSS Channel Showcase 1430624
Articles on this Page
- 09/06/13--09:22: _Canada’s top wines ...
- 10/16/13--19:13: _Wine lovers asked t...
- 01/21/14--06:22: _Award-winning chef ...
- 03/03/14--06:18: _Event offers a fun ...
- 05/12/14--23:27: _To create the perfe...
- 07/07/14--22:10: _Okanagan winery get...
- 08/22/14--21:35: _Rhone Valley still ...
- 02/06/15--15:27: _Wines to set the mo...
- 03/20/15--16:34: _Three of my favouri...
- 06/29/15--11:23: _Consumed: Jacobs Cr...
- 12/05/15--02:00: _Wines to bring smil...
- 03/19/16--15:44: _B.C. wines poised t...
- 04/01/17--02:00: _Wines to complement...
- 05/06/17--02:00: _Welcome the summer ...
- 11/04/17--06:00: _Time to change to r...
- 09/06/13--09:22: Canada’s top wines and wineries named after national competition
- 03/03/14--06:18: Event offers a fun twist on tasting wine blind
- 05/12/14--23:27: To create the perfect wine, blend your own
- 07/07/14--22:10: Okanagan winery gets into the Stampede spirit
- 08/22/14--21:35: Rhone Valley still offers wine gems
- 02/06/15--15:27: Wines to set the mood for Valentine's
- 03/20/15--16:34: Three of my favourite go-to Rhone wines
- 06/29/15--11:23: Consumed: Jacobs Creek introduces Shiraz aged in whisky barrels
- 12/05/15--02:00: Wines to bring smiles this holiday season
- 03/19/16--15:44: B.C. wines poised to join the big leagues
- 04/01/17--02:00: Wines to complement Easter dinner
- 05/06/17--02:00: Welcome the summer season with these party wines for $20 or less
- 11/04/17--06:00: Time to change to red wines as we hunker down for winter
Mission Hill Family Estate Winery is Canada’s Winery of the Year according to Wine Align, a Canadian wine ratings website.
The result is based on the National Wine Awards, a competition run by the Ontario-based website that is expanding to …
Mission Hill Family Estate Winerydmoleksyn
It’s no secret; Canadians are seriously getting into wine.
An international study released earlier this year by International Wine and Spirit Research, a company based in Britain, found wine consumption in Canada was growing three times faster than the global …
Generic wine tastingdmoleksyn
Award-winning chef Marcus Samuelsson has joined forces with Penfolds to create four recipes to pair with wines from the historic Australian winery.
Samuelsson, a James Beard Award winner, was born in Ethiopia and raised by adoptive parents in Sweden. The …
MarcusdmoleksynBin 8 Cab Shiraz
I’m a big proponent of blind tasting.
By blind tasting I mean sampling a wine without knowing what you have in your glass. Blind tasting, to me, really levels the playing field. It gets rid of the built-in bias that …
Blind tastingdmoleksynA guide dog was on the scene during the Love is Blind Experience at Willow Park on Feb. 21.
Wine is about to get personal, as a new trend in blending your own plonk could become the craze of the summer.
Most wines are already blended. Those labelled as single grape only require 85 per cent to be named that variety.calgaryherald
An Okanagan Valley-based winery has brought a couple of special bottles to Alberta for the Calgary Stampede. The bottles, from Serendipity Winery near Naramata, B.C., feature a man and woman wearing white cowboys hats similar to the Smithbilts Calgary is known for.
Serendipity Winery near Naramata, B.C., has brought a couple of special bottles to town for the Calgary Stampede.calgaryherald
France’s Rhone Valley has been a constant source for high-quality, well-priced wine for decades now and the good news is that prices have remained stable (unfortunately the same cannot be said for the euro) and recent vintages have been good to excellent. You can splurge on great Chateauneuf-du-Pape (from the southern half of the valley) or Hermitage and Cote Rotie from the north but the value lies in the Cotes-du-Rhone and Cotes-du-Rhone Villages realm. Winemakers have a broad palate of grape varietals to work with in the southern half of the valley (there are 13 red varietals permitted for Chateauneuf-du-Pape) but it is Syrah and Grenache — and to a lesser degree, Mourvedre — that steal the show in most cases. These red wines tend to be balanced and versatile, delivering black fruits, spice (especially black pepper) and what the French call garrigue, a wild sage bush of sorts that often displays notes of lavender. Here are few of my current favourites:
Domaine de Renjarde Cotes du Rhone Villages 2011, $25calgaryherald
The year’s biggest date night is just a week away. Maybe you’ve made Valentine’s Day reservations at a fancy restaurant. Or you’re preparing a memorable meal at home for your special someone. Either way, the right bottle of wine can certainly help set the mood. With that in mind, I’ve gathered a few bottles that […]
9999 OleksyndmoleksynOxford Landing Shriraz, for Darren Oleksyn Weekend Life wine column.Mission Hill 2012 Reserve.Seven Deadly Zins.Henri Billiot Brut Reserve.
France’s Rhône Valley has been a source for high quality value-driven wines for decades, and while prices have crept up slightly with the rise of the Euro, for the most part this remains the case. The real value in the Rhone comes in the form of the basic Côtes du Rhône and Côte du Rhône […]
032015-halos_de_jupiet_cdr.jpg.jpeg-0321_rhone_featured-W.jpgpglenn1Fleur de PampreDomaine de al Renjarde Cotes du Rhone Villages 2011 for Geoff Last's wine column; image supplied by Geoff LastLes Halos de Jupiter Cotes du Rhone
Whisky is aged in barrels once used for wine, but an Australian winery has set out to see if the reverse would have any sort of delicious effect. The experiment of aging Jacob’s Creek shiraz in barrels that once imparted flavour to Scotch whisky has proved fruitful. What was predicted would sell in a year, […]
Jacob's Creek Double Barrel - Shiraz_withglassgwendolynrichardsTwo glasses of Jacob's Creek Double Barrel, a red wine aged in former whisky barrels.
The celebratory holiday season is just around the corner. While economic circumstances might have taken some of the cheer out of the past year, there are still ways to wow your friends with special wines at reasonable prices. Maybe instead of buying that $80 Champagne, a well-made Spanish cava or Canadian sparkling wine might work. […]
9999 Oleksyndoleksyn Trivento, Amado Sur Pares Balta, Caba Brut Yangarra Estate, GSM Burrowing Owl Athene
A couple of weeks ago, the River Café celebrated its 25th anniversary and to mark the event they hosted a remarkable luncheon and dinner featuring the wines of British Columbia. The River Café has always been an advocate for local ingredients and Canadian wine, so this beloved Calgary institution was the ideal venue for the […]
010416-赤ワインで乾杯-web_wine_quiz-W.jpgpglenn1Quails' Gate 2014 Chardonnay. For Geoff Last March wine column.Haywire 2013 Pinot Gris. For Geoff Last March wine column.Laughing Stock 2013 Syrah. For Geoff Last March wine column.Meyer mcLean Creek 20145 Pinot Noir. For Geoff Last March wine column.
Easter dinner can bring a variety of food offerings. These wines will pair well with many of them.
Usher in May with fresh, fun wines primed for entertaining.
With long, cold nights on the way, it's nice to hunker down with a full-bodied red wine.